Help! Frequently Asked Questions
OVID, what it is, and how to watch
What is OVID?
OVID is a streaming video service offering documentary, foreign-language and fiction feature films, all streaming commercial-free. You can stream OVID through our website, Roku, FireTV, iOS and Android devices, and Apple TV.
How much does OVID cost?
When you sign up directly on our website, a subscription in the U.S. costs $6.99 per month. For a substantial discount, subscribe annually for $69.99. Try us free for 14 days and cancel anytime. Please note that your free trial will expire on the 7th day at the same time you initially created your account.
How often do you add new content?
We will make sure that you get the most out of your subscription! We usually add new content every week. We send an email on Friday to alert subscribers of new releases.
Where can I watch OVID?
OVID.tv is available via your web browser. Apps are also available for iOS devices like iPhone or iPad, Android devices, Roku, Fire TV and Apple TV.
Please note: Starting July 15th, 2019 OVID.tv will no longer support Android 4.4 (KitKat). If your device is affected by this change, then please check if your device can be updated. If that’s not the case, a device upgrade is needed.
Content is geographically restricted and currently can only be viewed within the United States and Canada. Note that not all of the films available in the U.S. are available in Canada, due to rights restrictions.
You will be able to access OVID content on your Roku device using below steps:
How can I watch OVID on Roku?
You will be able to access OVID content on your Roku device using the below steps:
- From the Roku home screen, select Streaming Channels
- Select Search Channels
- Search for OVID
- Follow the onscreen instructions to add the channel.
- The OVID.tv channel should now appear on your home page with your other channels. Open the OVID.tv channel.
- From the menu, select Login
If you have purchased a subscription via the web, select "Already have an account? Login." Enter the email and password you used when you subscribed.
If you have not already purchased a subscription, click "Don't have an account? Sign up," and follow the onscreen instructions. Note that you cannot use a coupon code when you sign up via Roku.
Once you are logged in, you may begin watching OVID.tv films.
Can I stream OVID.tv through an iPhone or iPad?
Apps for iOS devices like iPhone or iPad are available via the App Store. Visit the App Store to download the free OVID app. Until the apps are available, you may watch OVID via the device's browser.
I am using my computer to view OVID. What browser should I use?
For the best viewing experience, we recommend using Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox or Safari to view on desktop devices. Please note that if you are using Internet Explorer (IE), we recommend Edge, since IE is being phased out.
If you are using a mobile device, like an iPhone, iPad or Android device, we have a native application for those platforms that provides the optimum viewing experience. However, you may use the browser on those devices to view OVID.
The video or stream quality is bad, what can I do?
We recommend viewing from a wired connection with a download bandwidth of at least 700 kbps. To view in HD you will need to have higher download speeds. If there are other devices using your wireless network, see if you can minimize their usage. Try reloading the page or see if you can access the video from another browser and/or device. You may also try to clear your browser’s cache and cookies.
I am from outside of the U.S. and Canada. Can I use OVID?
Unfortunately, at this time, no. Our films are from a number of sources, and in many cases we have not yet cleared streaming rights outside of the U.S. We are working on clearing international rights, so please check back for any updates.
To check your internet speed, visit speedtest.net.
Note: OVID.tv has curated a distinctive collection of documentary and independent film. In some cases, the films are classics made some time ago, and often with limited resources in sub-optimal conditions with equipment that could not capture image quality comparable to today's state of the art equipment. We have tried our best to produce the best digital renderings possible of these titles from the available source materials. In some cases the results may not look great. Still, given the historic significance of these films, we are excited to share these landmark works with you, even with the image shortcomings. However, if you have a question about or issue with the quality of film, and have ruled out any playback issues from above, please email us at email@example.com.
Can I show OVID films to my class / group / public event?
In a word, no. OVID.tv is available for home and personal use only. Academic streaming for most OVID films is available from Docuseek. Public performance rights (what you need to show the film in a public venue, aka PPR) are available from the film's distributor. For more information on PPR, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org
Accounts, signing up, and billing questions
Who is Cleeng and why do I need a Cleeng account?
OVID has partnered with Cleeng to manage our video e-commerce activities. Cleeng is a leader in this field. Cleeng simplifies access to our content and provides customer service. Using your Facebook or Google account, it takes just a few seconds to create a Cleeng account, and then purchase a subscription to OVID using Visa, MasterCard, Amex, or PayPal.
Note: Cleeng does not own any of the content rights on OVID. To find out more about Cleeng, visit www.cleeng.com
How do I sign up?
To sign up via the web, click the Login link on the OVID site. When you sign up, you will receive a 14-day free trial. If you enjoy your trial do nothing and your membership will automatically continue for as long as you choose to remain a member. You may cancel any time.
- Creating your account by providing an email address and password
- Select the monthly or annual subscription option. Coupons only work with monthly subscriptions.
- In the next dialog, select a payment option (either credit card or Paypal)
- Enter your payment details.
If using a mobile app (iPhone, iPad or Android device), click the Sign Up link at the bottom of the screen, and follow the on-screen instructions.
Have a coupon? See below.
Note: For Apple TV, Roku and Fire TV, subscribe via the web. Once you are subscribed, follow the instructions for the respective platform to add the OVID channel to your device.
How do I cancel my subscription?
We will be sorry to see you go, but if you want to cancel your subscription, follow these steps:
- Go to OVID.tv and log in.
- Once you have logged in, click on the My Account link on the menu of account options at the top right of the screen.
- Click on the Unsubscribe button.
- Select a reason for unsubscribing -- this will help us improve the service for other users.
- Click the Unsubscribe button again.
How do I use a coupon?
Note: Coupons cannot be redeemed within iOS or Android apps. If you received a coupon for OVID.tv, redeem the coupon when purchasing a subscription.
- Creating your account by providing an email address and password
- Select the monthly subscription option.
- In the next dialog, before entering payment details, click the "Redeem coupon" button in the top right of the form.
- Enter the coupon code, and click "Activate". If the coupon code was entered correctly, and the coupon has not expired, you will see the revised subscription details. Proceed with entering your payment details to complete your purchase.
For more information, please click, see this Cleeng page.
How do I update my payment information?
To update or remove your payment method, or to remove your credit card info from your account, follow these steps:
- Go to My Account and log in.
- Go to Settings.
- Scroll down and click on the Change button, next to "Your credit card details".
- Or, to remove, click remove.
Is my credit card secure?
Absolutely! Your profile, balance and access information are securely stored on Cleeng servers. All transactions are done on Cleeng servers using 256bit SSL encryption. Payment processing meets the highest PCI compliance standards.
My payment was rejected. What can I do?
Try these steps:
- Double-check that you entered in the correct billing details, including expiration date, and the CVC code (the three or four digit code on the back of the card).
- Your bank may be refusing the payment. Contact them using the phone number on the back of your card.
- In rare cases a credit card payment is blocked due to Cleeng’s fraud filters. Try a different payment method.
What is your refund policy? How do I request a refund?
Cleeng only processes a "Refund request" coming in via the refund request form. Requesting a refund does not mean it will be granted automatically. For your purchase and the refunding process the Cleeng Terms & Conditions apply: An automatic refund will only be granted in the case of a user making a double/multiple purchases using the same registration/login data.
Allow 24-72 hours after the refund request was submitted for it to be processed.
Why hasn’t my subscription renewed?
By default, subscriptions are renewed automatically. However, sometimes you may notice that your subscription plan wasn't automatically renewed. In such case you get an automated email notification and 48 hours to act upon this feedback. There are two main reasons for a failed renewal:
- Your bank doesn't accept the transaction due to its own internal policies. Please contact your bank directly to obtain more information.
- Your credit card has expired. Update your credit card details in your account. Simply click on the link we send you in the automated notification email or Login with your email and the affiliate password, click on 'Settings' and update your credit card info.
After 48 hours and no action from your side, the auto-renewal won't be possible anymore and your subscription will be automatically cancelled. You will need to subscribe again to start a new subscription cycle.
I signed up with my Google / Facebook account. How do I log in on Roku / Fire TV / Apple TV?
Unfortunately, the Roku, Fire TV and Apple TV apps do not have a social login option, so there is a bit of a speed bump when it comes to signing in. To workaround this, change your password via OVID.tv web application. Click on the Profile menu at the top right of the screen, select My Account, and click the Change link at the top right of the dialog.
Still need help?
Please initiate a support request via the Cleeng Help Desk.